The first time I made my own cropped top, I recycled an old pair of black leggings - but why stop there? You can find lots of leggings and tights in the sales bin; in colours and textures you would not normally wear. Like these pink lace leggings I just found for 1,85 euros. They look way too much 80's Madonna, but when you cut out the gusset and pull them over your leo - instant fun fashion update!
Tips and tricks:
- Recycle old tights/leggings. Ballet pink or white tights go great under leos for extra coverage & warmth.
- If you customize your top from new tights, don't spend a lot of money. The fabric will snag anyway.
- Don't buy the cheapest quality. Microfiber holds better, as does denier above 40.
- Buy a size (or two) bigger than you would for your legs. Makes for a comfier fit.
- Leggings come with pre-cut hand openings. ;)
- Hipster models are no good, they ride too high up on your torso.
- Necks are easiest to cut when there's a gusset to trace. Turn the tights inside out before you cut.
- Do not cut the neck like you would a cotton t-shirt. The fabric will stretch like crazy.
- Be careful when you pull your top over the first time, it will stretch. And it will snag.
- Hand-wash only.
- Have fun!